Club History

From its original inception in 1923 as the Thorpe Country Club to its present configuration, the Edina Country Club has a history rich in tradition and member support. The original clubhouse, which was built in 1923, burned to the ground on Halloween, 1929. It was replaced by a rich, colonial structure on what is now the present fifth green and sixth tee. This building endured until 1959 when the present clubhouse replaced it. Several multi-million dollar renovations have helped make the Edina Country Club what it is today, one of the most prestigious and desirable in the entire Upper Midwest.

The Edina Country Club golf course, originally a 9-hole course (known as Thorpe Country Club), opened in 1923. Renowned architect Tom Bendelow designed the 18-hole course that opened for play one year later. With the clubhouse changing locations, the sequence of holes has changed numerous times through the years, but the layout is basically the same. In 2010-11, the team of Tom Lehman and Chris Brands redesigned the course, installing new green complexes, bunkers, tees and fairway grasses -- but keeping the same basic layout.